Building Descriptive Skills
Age Group : 4+
The methodology section at the beginning of the book "Building Descriptive Skills Step-by-Step – Age: 4+" provides you with the theoretical underpinning and the tools you need to help your students learn how to generate descriptive vocabulary and organise their ideas effectively. Children are offered the opportunity to practice building descriptions across 5 thematic areas and the step-by-step approach of the book is reinforced by a set of 5 description templates – one for each thematic area – that break down the information used in a description into categories thus developing your learners’ potential in becoming more autonomous.
Offering an array of useful strategies, tips and engaging practice activities, this book ensures your young learners get meaningful practice in descriptive language skills.
- guidelines on how you can reinforce your learners’ descriptive language skills
- criteria for selecting an appropriate thematic area
- steps needed to structure a thorough description
- 5 templates / guides for developing a description
- 158 picture task cards with comprehensive notes for therapists, teachers and parents
- 100 tips on games and activities that can be used with the picture cards
The materials in this book have been carefully selected to meet the needs of speech therapists, special education teachers, preschool teachers, primary school teachers and parents who are looking for a ready-to-use resource to help their children become more confident in using descriptive language and develop a positive attitude towards expressing themselves.
You may also be interested in the book "Development of narrative discourse".
PART 1: Methodology
- Descriptive Language: A Brief Introduction
- Using this book: Selecting a Thematic Area
- Organising and Structuring a Description
- Description Template / Guide
PART 2: Practice – Picture Task Cards and Activity Suggestions
- Level 1: Describing an Object
- Level 2: Describing an Animal
- Level 3: Describing a Person
- Level 4: Describing a Place
- Level 5: Describing a Situation
Type: Paper or PDF file
Number of pages: 156
Author: Alice Kassotaki - Speech Language Pathologist MSc, BSc
Translation & Proofreading: Sofia Natsa