Age: 6 years and over
This is a new series of intervention material entitled “Development of Reading Comprehension in children with Autism Spectrum Disorder”. It is recommended for children who have severe difficulties in understanding texts. It consists of three parts with a brief theoretical background and various practice activities grouped in six levels of increasing difficulty. The material has been developed and tested in clinical practice with excellent results, depending on learners’ potential.
Reading comprehension difficulties are associated with a wide range of cognitive and mental processes. Most pupils with special education needs suffer from this problem. However, its causes can be largely unknown. It is accepted that skilled reading comprehension requires the reader to be able to process the written symbols of a text at an appropriate speed and level of precision. Of course, this is not enough. Reading comprehension is a complex, interactive process of perceiving, processing, retaining and using the meaning or the semantic content of a word, sentence and oral/written text.
Whether you are a specialist or simply a parent, you will find this e-book very useful!
According to scientific research, children acquire decoding and reading comprehension skills at the same time, but each skill develops independently of the other. Children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) usually develop decoding skills, but have difficulty with reading comprehension. They can identify words relatively more easily than understanding what they have read. This may be attributed to the fact that comprehension is a more abstract skill than decoding.
It proposes six levels of intervention, selected based on scaling difficulty.
- The first level comprises activities for the development of reading comprehension of words.
- The second levelcomprises activities for the development of reading comprehension of phrases.
- The third level comprises activities for the development of reading comprehension of sentences.
- The fourth levelcomprises activities for the development of reading comprehension of texts. Children read a text that has four sentences.
- The fifth level comprises activities for the reading comprehension of texts. Children read a text that has four sentences
- The sixth level comprises activities for the development of reading comprehension of texts. Children read a text that has six sentences.
Type: 1 pdf File
Size: 6.7 MB
Number of pages: 150
Author: Alice Kassotaki - Speech Language Pathologist MSc, BSc
Translation & Proofreading: Maria Rigli
Readable on: PC / Mac, Tablet PCs, E-Readers
For the purpose of protecting intellectual property rights, each eBook is sealed with the buyer’s email and a corresponding entry is made in the Register of Rights of Use.