Development of Critical Thinking
Age Group : 5 years and over
Alfie the alien is visiting Earth for the first time. He knows nothing about human beings, their habits or life on our planet. The child will assume the role of guide, helping Alfie to understand how people live as they visit different places.
We will travel to sixty different destinations with Alfie, finding ourselves in everyday situations, observing natural phenomena, looking at man-made constructions, getting to know different people and visiting unique landscapes.
The child will try to guide Alfie the alien as effectively as possible. Alfie knows nothing and is fully reliant on the child. His guide will have to explain everything to him and answer all his questions!
These types of activities give children the opportunity to think differently from usual, develop their imagination and boost their language skills.
- Critical thinking - Definition
- The critical thinker
- Taxonomy of critical thinking skills (Benjamin Bloom)
- Taxonomy of critical thinking skills (Benjamin Bloom) - pyramid
- Some useful verbs for the taxonomy of critical thinking skills
- Developing critical thinking skills
- Alfie the alien
- Activities overview
- Glossary of terms used in picture worksheets
- Glossary sorted by theme
- Level 1 - Picture worksheets | The visit begins
- Level 2 - Cards | Sorting words and concepts
Level 3 - Taxonomy of critical thinking skills - additional exercises for the picture worksheets/cards
Type: Paper or PDF file
Number of pages: 102
Author: Alice Kassotaki - Speech Language Pathologist MSc, BSc
Translation & Proofreading: Paula McGowan